Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A light that is endless...

Is it just me, or do you feel helpless or hopeless as the world seems to be falling apart around us? Ever since the earthquake in Haiti, New Zealand and now the earthquake tsunami in Japan, I have felt so much heartache for those that are grieving and have lost loved ones. I can't even contemplate what it would be like to suddenly have everything you call home, just gone in seconds. Your home, your possessions, your family, and perhaps your very own life.

I have been pondering many scriptures in the New Testament and the Book of Mormon. And as I studied Mosiah, when King Benjamin is preaching and counseling his people. I imagined I was sitting there with my family listening and believing every word as if I were there. His words still ring with great heed and haste to change ourselves and be born of God, to become His people. To sacrifice all the things that may keep us from staying on the right course that will lead us back to our Heavenly Father.

While I read my scriptures, many times I will pause and just stare at the thick ancient book. I caress the pages and I am always humbled, to have the blessing of holding these sacred journals in my hands and to read from those that did give heed to the Lord. They did as the Lord commanded and fervently kept the records of their people, knowing that it would stir us up always in remembrance of who we are and that we must continually prepare to meet God. I was so excited to listen to the Prophet and the Apostles speak for General Conference this past weekend. Their knowledge and great testimonies enlightened and astounded my testimony. Again reconfirming that I know without a shadow of doubt that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is the true gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel of Jesus Christ is what saves us continually and gets us through the trials of life. It brings hope, light and perspective to everything. I think about those that have recently suffered or whose lives have been taken because of natural disasters and wars. I am grateful for the knowledge that Jesus Christ not only atoned for every sin, but that He conquered and broke the bands of death. The gift of the resurrection is given to everyone. It is hard to grasp the idea that it will happen, but it is amazing and real.

I just want to share what I last read from the scriptures, I just love it. These scriptures are a beautiful knowledge to know and have faith in. Especially for those that have suffered lately.

"And now if Christ had not come into the world, speaking of things to come as though they had already come, there could have been no redemption. And if Christ had not risen from the dead, or have broken the bands of death that the grave should have no victory, and that death should have no sting, there could have been no resurrection. But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ. He is the light and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless, that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless, that there can be no more death." ~Mosiah 16:6-9 (In the Book Of Mormon)

It's hard to carry on a normal life when there are those around us and far away that are suffering. But we can pray and fast for them. We can be comforted by the light and grace of Christ and live for Him. There will always be sad things occurring in the world, but there are always beautiful things happening at the same time. And the Lord will always cast out any darkness and fear that threatens to destroy hope. Because He loves us and has experienced every type of pain we can experience in mortality. And those pains are taken away through faith in Him and obedience to Him.

1 comment:

Janna Murphy said...

Very well written, Sher, lots of "food for thought".