Sunday, December 26, 2010

Gotta love Christmas music!

One of my greatest memories growing up was listening to my dad play his violin and my mom play classical guitar. They both together cherished classical music and as a hobby together have always gone to classical concerts. So I'm very grateful to have gained a deep appreciation for classical music because of them. My mom's collection of Christmas music is (((HUGE))) as well as my dad's classical music collection. My mom would even start listening to Christmas music in October sometimes because she wanted to try to listen to as many of her CD's as possible! (yes...at times I had to beg my mom to take a break so I wouldn't go bonkers and hide her music! hah!) But it truly made our family get into the Christmas spirit indeed.

For as long as I can remember, my parents have always listened to George Frideric Handel's "Messiah" throughout December. My dad often holding the thick bound music book singing along to the music. I loved going with them to see the "Messiah" performed at the Oakland Temple and have seen other religions perform it as well. It never ceases to amaze me at how strong the spirit is when it is performed. It is astounding that Handel wrote it in a mere two-three weeks! He was truly inspired! (he always donated money from his concerts to a charity and a London Hospital to the orphans and the ill.) My parents have performed with various programs of the "Messiah" and currently sing in the LDS Glendale Phoenix Stake performance every year. I have sang the "Hallelujah" chorus song in my church choir a couple years ago and enjoyed it immensely! I look forward to doing again when I have the chance. My church stake performed it this year and I went with my parents to enjoy it. I'm always humbled with each word, each scripture, it takes my soul into a different realm of thinking. It makes me reflect on the Savior and His grand atonement and perfect life. His ability to conquer death and ressurect is truly unfathomable. I am so greatful to have a knowledge and testimony of my Savior Jesus Christ, and know that He loves me and knows me. And I know that it is up to me to seek and learn of Him and daily choose to be like Him in all that I do. I am grateful to live for Him and do as He did. Which is, to do the Lords will.

These are my favorite scripture passages used in the "Messiah":

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

"Surely, He hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows: He was wounded for our transgressions. He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon Him and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:6

"Hallelujah, for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth, Hallelujah! The kingdom of this world is become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever, King of Kings and Lord of Lords." Revelation 19:6, 11:15, 19:16

"I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth, and tho' worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God. For now is Christ risen from the dead, the first fruits of them that sleep." Job 19:25-26, 1 Corinthians 15:20
"Behold I tell you a mystery; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed in a twinkling of a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet." 1 Corinthians 15:57

"Worthy is the Lamb that was slain, and hath redeemed us to God by His blood, to recieve power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. Blessing and honour, glory and power be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb, forever and ever." Revelation 5:12-13
Indeed, Christmas music is part of the magic of Christmas. It's the only type of song that I can listen to in any genre of music, whether it's Celtic, Country, Hip-Hop... it's just all around fun. And my mom has a lot of really annoying ones, that our family all had fun laughing at. I played the Chimpmunks, "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth," and Keira just looved it, so we played that all month. I have great memories of my Grandpa singing, "Yingle Bells," and boy, was he good at it. My sister and I wrote a song when we were young called, "I remember Christmas" and I still love singing it with her. Oh, how I love Christmas music! This Christmas we stayed home in Arizona. And Taylors parents came down from Utah and stayed with us. It was great to have them here and for Keira to spend time with them. They were so generous in their kind gifts to us (we are so grateful!) They gave Keira a tricycle and the adorable toy I had my eyes on, it's a little fairy boot house that has cute little lights/sounds. And I gave her a fairy toy to ride on, and lots of Megablok stuff. I think she's set with toys for the year!

We had a lovely Christmas Eve dinner at Aunt Kate & Uncle Matt's house. Grandpa taught Keira how to do knuckles and Aunt Kate taught Keira how to speak some chinese! Keira loved Aunt Kate's Keyboard/Piano, she was playing some fun circus-like music, it was so funny! We also visited my parents at their home and enjoyed some good food of course! I'm so grateful for the time we had with all of our families. We had a wonderful blessed Christmas.

No comments: