Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Choose Ye This Day


Last week on Monday we had the missionaries over for dinner. Afterwards, they shared a scripture from the Book of Mormon, "Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life— "
(Mosiah 18:9)

He then asked me what I thought about the part, "to mourn with those that mourn...and comfort those that stand in need of comfort". I responded saying that we should think of the Savior and what he would do. To help them feel the holy spirit through prayer and giving words of hope. No matter what type of trial that person is suffering, we need to forget about ourselves and be there for that person.
"...that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17.)

I believe he was prompted to read that scripture passage. Because later that week Taylor's Aunt Lorma passed away and my dear Grandpa Millet passed away. Lorma's passing was caused by a sad accident and my Grandpa suffered from Alzheimers and other health issues. I wanted so much to get to know Lorma better. She was such a lovely person. She was so kind to make me lots of blankets for my baby. Taylor told me she was like a second mother to his dad. I continue to pray for her husband Paul and the family. I could tell Lorma loved the Lord by her words and actions. I will cherish her example and services. My Grandfather Lowell Millet was amazing, I will be posting my tribute about him soon.

This week I have constantly contemplated the scripture, "Choose ye this day, whom ye will serve." (Alma 30:8)
We need to live for today. We need to decide who we live for. Is it for God or for ourselves? Do we rely on the Lord? seek the Lord? fear the Lord? The Lord knows our time on earth. We must decide if we want to live the way we want or the way God wants us to live. If we live for ourselves and put our wants and desires first before the Lords, we cannot be ultimately happy or discover our potential. But through prayer and humility the Lord will lead and guide our paith as we learn to rely on Him, we can be happy and be blessed in ways we never imagined. "In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:6) We need to serve and help others, instead of judging or condemning. Simply do as the Lord commands us and we will be blessed for putting others first before ourselves. "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." (John 13:34) Through living like Christ and teaching others about Christ, we show the Lord that we truly submit our will to His.

The life and death of Christ is monumental. He has shown us the way to live and has atoned for us so we can repent and become like Him. He conquered death and resurrected, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16) His gift of Eternal life is the greatest blessing we've recieved as children of God. We decide if we want to use the atonement so we may recieve Eternal life and Eternal happiness. Or let His sacrifice be in vain.

Ponder life and remember how merciful the Lord is to us daily. And truly decide to live for Him. I know that I am nothing without Him. And when I can teach others about Christ and His love for them, it brings me more joy than anything else. There is so much to live for in this life. But living for Christ will always be the most important to me. Remember that He is always there to answer your prayers and waiting for you to let Him into your life.

"Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God."
(Moroni 10:32)

I have turned to this favorite scripture of mine throughout my life, it has always has anchored and strengthened my faith and testimony. It reminds me why I live and what to live for. And it will always be my motto in life. I'm grateful to know that because of Jesus Christ and His gospel. I will be together with my family for eternity through the power of the sealing ordinance in Holy Temples. God loves us and wants us to turn to Him. This primary song explains His perfect love for us.

'He Sent His Son'

How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.
How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
He sent his Son to walk with men on earth, that we may know.
How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.
What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.
What does he ask? Live like his Son.

Words: Mabel Jones Gabbott, b. 1910
LDS Children's Songbook



No comments: